Monday 15 April 2013

Why I love Iyengar Yoga?

I drove for an hour and a half in the dark along windy country lanes to get to a yoga class last night.

Why?

There are classes taught much closer by. Part of me wonders whether I just tend to value things that are hard to get, that require some kind of mission. Whilst there is a hint of truth in this all became clear

I staggered across the carpark with bolster and mat in hand, belt trailing on the floor behind me, clutching my handbag, keys, torch and half opened water bottle. It had been a long day. I am sure you know the feeling- in bits yet someone together.

With warmth the Yoga teacher welcomed me and as I snuck into the door late I sat, the opening chant began.

My heart swells and the edges of my mouth curl as I recollect that simple moment of unity. Unassuming and with sincerity the class began.

The flow of classical asanas were sequenced to give the extension and actions that then fed into the next asana.

Alignment has grace. In each classic pose the uniqueness of the individual is expressed. The stiffness, flexibilty, strength and awareness, of the body shape the asana. Like perhaps water flowing is shaped into a river by rocks and mounds. There is a direction to the river. Alignment of the body helps bring direction in the asana. The energy and awareness can then flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment